Sunday, July 3, 2011

Griffin and Bailey's Birthday!

I never could have imagined how much love I would have for two sweet babies immediately! My life has changed drastically in the past week and it is absolutely exhausting, but wonderful, and I wouldn't give these sweet babies back for anything! :) I want to go through the events of what happened so that they will know someday, and that I won't forget.

Last Sunday was six days from when they allowed me to get off of my meds and bed rest. However, I wasn't able to do a whole lot since my energy level was very low from laying around for 11 and a half weeks. I told Jacob that I wanted to go to church that morning just to get out of the house. We went to church and it was great to see everyone...especially since I had not been to church since early April. That night, our church started Vacation Bible School. I am normally on the team that puts on VBS, so I was sad I hadn't been able to participate this year. I went to VBS and did "sit down" jobs that needed to be done. I was sitting in the foyer as everyone asked how I was doing and I stated, "great, but getting ready to have these babies." About 6:00, I started getting pains in my right side, but it wasn't what I thought a contraction would feel like. It felt like a burning that would come and go. My good friend, Pam, is a labor and delivery nurse that has been with me throughout this entire journey...and she is also in charge of VBS. I informed her that I was having pains, and I don't think she believed me because we joked that I would go into labor during VBS and she would need to be in two places at once. It got to the point where I felt so bad, I couldn't make small talk anymore. Pam sent me home with instructions to take a bath and try to relax. Jacob and my friend, Amanda, took me home and began packing the car as I took a bath to try to relax from what I thought were just weird pains. After the bath, they did not go away and Pam came over right after VBS. After checking me out, she informed me that I was in labor and we needed to go straight to the hospital. I could not believe it! It seems like we have waited so long for this and it didn't feel real that it was really happening. Pam drove me to the hospital and it seemed like we got there really fast. My parents were already on the road to come and we called Jacob's parents to let them know they better drive and drive fast! To say that the grandparents were excited was a complete understatement!!! The emotions I were feeling already were amazing as I knew that I would soon meet me sweet children that I have dreamed about for so long! Leaving our house knowing that we would come back with two babies was a feeling I will never forget.

Our last time in our house as a family of two

No turning back now!

My photographer and assistant labor coach before the fun began

Once at the hospital, I got into the gown and got hooked up to the monitors and was shocked that I was contracting every 1-2 minutes and was dilated to 5-6. Pam said she thought it would be around 5-6 a.m. Monday morning when they would come, and this was around 11:00 p.m. However, they decided they would come quickly. I got my epidural and bawled like a baby as I knew that this was really happening. I was so grateful to have Pam to lean on and Jacob's hand to squeeze throughout this phase of labor. Once the epidural was in, our friends and family that were there so far came in to visit, then were sent to the waiting room. By around 2:00, I was ready to push and everyone could not believe how fast it had happened. Jacob's parents arrived 5 minutes before they were born and we were so glad that they were able to make it. Labor was the most amazing experience and it still feels surreal that it happened. Griffin was born at 2:22 a.m. and as soon as he was out, the tears started flowing! When they said he was healthy and weighed 5 lb. 13 oz., I could not have been more grateful to hear those words. My mom and sister were able to stay in the delivery room too and when I looked up, Jacob, Mom, Hannah, and Pam were all crying too. While I was so grateful that Griffin was here, I knew I was only halfway done.
Meeting Griffin for the first time

Bailey's heart rate dropped pretty low, but they thought it was just because she came so fast....10 minutes after her brother at 2:32 weighing 5 lb. 14 oz.
Holding Bailey for the first time

My new family!

When they had both been born and the anxiety of that experience was over, it was like the flood of tears started and I knew that this portion of the journey was over and it had gone perfectly! Pam said that it was unheard of for the birth of twins to go so smoothly, but I know that God was watching over us and after this long journey, He was going to help us through all of it! Watching Jacob become a father was the most amazing experience. At one point, I looked over and he was holding Griffin, looking at them cleaning Bailey, and had tears streaming down his face. I feel like I cried for a good hour!

Jacob's parents arrived right before Griffin was born and after their birth, my Dad and Jacob's parents came in and the crying REALLY began with the grandparents all meeting their grandchildren for the first time. After many pictures and holding time, the rest of our "cheering section" came in to meet Bailey and Griffin.
Our cheering section anxiously waiting

Meeting their grand babies for the first time!

Not pretty of me, but a sweet moment!

I'm telling you, everyone was crying! :) 

Can you tell these grandmothers are excited??

Love them already!

So glad you made it in time!

Ponder side (minus Hayden who was able to come the next day)

Hayden holding Griffin

Uncle David and Aunt Jessie were able to be here!

Fox side of the family (with Jenna on Skype in Florence)

I was absolutely exhausted, but so happy and grateful that both of our sweet babies were here safely! At about 3:30, everyone headed home and they told me that they would take care of them for the night. YEAH RIGHT!!! The adrenaline of the experience was still pumping and I laid in bed looking through all of the pictures, and of course...crying! I will put pictures of the night and will write more another day about each of them, their personalities, their sleeping habits so far, etc. My life has changed so much in a week and I feel so blessed to have my sweet babies, my supportive husband, family who is losing sleep and will lose much more in the future helping us, and friends who are so excited for us! Let the fun times begin!!

Getting ready to leave the hospital after four days. We had to stay an extra day because of a little jaundice, but it was my dream to leave the hospital with my babies and my wish came true! I love that Jacob already has a little drool on his shirt...welcome to fatherhood! :)

1 comment:

  1. Love this and yes I did cry through most of it, ha! Love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete